The Religious Education Congress, sponsored by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles Office of Religious Education, is America’s largest annual gathering of Roman Catholics, bringing together nearly 40,000 every year for a four-day event! 2017 marked the 20th year that Bishop Robert Barron has been in attendance. In addition to several interviews and book-signings Bishop Barron participated in at this year’s Congress, he also gave a keynote in the central arena. This episode of The Word on Fire Show was recorded live at the Word on Fire booth in the exposition hall. During the show the good bishop answers questions from the expo audience as well as the audience watching live on Facebook.
- 0:10 – Introduction, Bishop Barron’s 20th year at the Congress and his talk on the “nones”
- 4:00 – What would Bishop Barron ask Thomas Aquinas if he was able to meet him?
- 6:58 – How do you see Hispanic Catholics evangelizing to future generations?
- 9:20 – Catholic Stuff You Should Know priests discuss podcasting for evangelization
- 13:45 – What are some good takeaways from the theology of Hans Urs von Balthasar?
- 15:20 – What is Bishop Barron’s vision for evangelization and catechesis?
- 21:30 – What’s the next filming project for Word On Fire?
- 23:30 – How should we deal with sin without beating ourselves up when we fail?
- 28:00 – What is the difference between meditative prayer and contemplative prayer?
- 32:10 – How can God be three persons and not fall into any genus, the genus of personhood?
- 35:45 – How can teachers help combat the myth that science refutes religion?
- 42:30 – How do we reconcile the book of Genesis with scientific facts about creation?
- 47:35 – What is the best way to bring an inactive Catholic back to the faith?
- 49:30 – What is one bit of advice for all of us facing the crisis of attrition within the Catholic Church?
- Study Program
- The Mystery of God: Who God Is and Why He Matters (Bishop Barron)