Bishop Robert Barron is a bona fide bibliophile. Any quiet moment outside his holy hours, he can be found at his workbench writing a book or on his patio reading one. In this episode of the Word on Fire Show, Bishop Barron discusses some new and notable books that he’s read, which range from the scholarly insight of Dietrich von Hildebrand to the poetic storytelling of Sally Read to the popular encouragement of Rick Warren. The listener question comes from a college student who wonders how God can be all-loving to his people and rain fire down on cities in the Old Testament.
- 0:17 – Introduction, Bishop Barron’s 2017 goals and resolutions
- 3:15 – Who is Dietrich von Hildebrand and why does he matter?
- 5:30 – What was the liturgical movement that took place in the 1920’s and 30’s.
- 7:00 – According to Hildebrand, how does the faith and liturgy shape a well-cultivated personality?
- 10:00 – Who is Sally Read and what is her story?
- 14:0o – What is the way of beauty and why is it important?
- 18:20 – What is the premise of Rick Warren’s The Purpose Driven Church
- 21:10 – What are some of the things that Evangelical churches do right in terms of church growth and health?
- 20:35 – What can Catholics learn from the mega church model?
- 25:33 – Listener question: If God exists non-competitively with his creation and is all-loving, why does he rain down fire on cities?
- CATHOLICISM: The Pivotal Players (Word On Fire)
- Faith Clips (Word On Fire)
- Liturgy and Personality by Dietrich von Hildebrand
- Transformation in Christ by Dietrich von Hildebrand
- The Mystical Body of Christ by Fulton J. Sheen
- Night’s Bright Darkness by Sally Read
- The Purpose Driven Church by Rick Warren
- Word On Fire: Proclaiming the Power of Christ by Bishop Barron
- Seeds of the Word by Bishop Barron
- Study Program
- The Mystery of God: Who God Is and Why He Matters (Bishop Barron)
- Word On Fire (Proclaiming Christ in the Culture)